Holding Insurance Companies Accountable Under State Law
Wittingly or unwittingly, many insurance companies engage in unfair claims practices as they try to pay out as little as possible for any given claim. Texas, like most states, has an Unfair Claim Settlement Practices Act as part of its insurance code to prevent insurance companies from engaging in this behavior and for holding them accountable when they do engage in it.
Unfortunately, many insurance companies get away with this behavior because their policyholders don’t understand what is and is not covered in their insurance policies. If you believe your insurance company is engaging in unfair claims practices, you need to speak with a lawyer.
At Hubble & Pistorius, we have extensive knowledge of Texas insurance laws, which we use when our clients come into conflict with their insurance companies. Our 25-year history of winning has put us among the top trial firms in the state. Our standards include efficient and effective work along with exceptional customer service. We want to help you successfully resolve your insurance issue.
What Constitutes An Unfair Claim?
Insurance companies violate the Texas Unfair Claims Practices Act when they:
- Knowingly misrepresent material facts or policy provisions related to coverage
- Fail to attempt in good faith to effectuate a prompt, fair and equitable settlement of a claim with respect to which their liability has become reasonably clear
- Refuse to pay a claim without conducting a reasonable investigation
- Fail to conduct an investigation in a reasonable amount of time
- Fail to provide a reasonable explanation for their denial of the claim or to offer a compromise settlement of the claim
- Attempt to enforce a full and final release of a claim when only a partial payment has been made
- Offer substantially less than the amount due on the claim
- Compel the insured to file a lawsuit to recover the correct amount for a claim by offering less than what the policyholder obtained in the original suit
We have years of experience dealing with the tactics insurance companies use to avoid paying claims. This puts us at an advantage when it comes to resolving insurance bad faith claims. We recognize all of the games.
While many cases can be resolved through mediation, appraisal or direct negotiation, some cannot. In these instances, our accomplished trial attorneys will bring your case to court if that is what it takes.